Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Round One: Fail

So, I am not pregnant. Got another negative test today, but I'm definitely about to have my period. It's weird though, definitely worse symptoms than usual (I won't go into details, because I want anyone who reads this to keep reading this), and earlier than usual. I almost wonder if last weekend's symptoms mixed with what I'm feeling now means that something started happening, if a valiant effort was made by my little egg, and then it resigned? I am not a doctor, and I don't even know as much about fertility as you'd think a surrogate would -- since I've never had fertility problems, I've done much more research on the pregnancy part than on the conception part. But I am hyper-aware of my body, especially since starting CrossFit, and I know something was different this month.

What's weird about coming to this realization, though, is that I'm not upset. I went through the sadness earlier this week when I started realizing the pregnancy symptoms had subsided, that things weren't quite "right." Now I'm just getting ready for next month, which will be much more "scientific."

We will use Robitussin to thin my cervical mucus (I guess so it's easier for the sperm to penetrate - like I said, I'm not a great researcher, that's Kira's job), and we will use an ovulation predictor kit. Not that it necessarily matters either, but I've been told that you should wait 3 months after a miscarriage to try to get pregnant again, but two nights ago I read in Women's Health that new research shows this to be untrue. According to new studies, women who get pregnant the month after a miscarriage are 60% more likely to carry a pregnancy to term. Or 60% of women who conceive the month after a miscarriage carrying their baby to term. I don't remember exactly, but I know it's 60%. I think it's the first, since miscarriage rates are only 15-40% (20s-40s age range, respectively).

On a treating myself well note, when I got my massage yesterday, I showed the woman exactly where my knot was. And guess what? It's still there. I'm going to be spending some quality time with a lacrosse ball today.

Hopefully, also, I'll go horseback riding and/or climbing. The weather is beautiful, my boyfriend is coming home Friday, I'm going skiing this weekend. I am alright.

7 comments:

  1. Even with zero issues, a "normal" woman has a 25% chance of getting a BFP each month. Those chances will be higher with the timed IUI, but still... I think you're off to a great start and your chances are high in the next couple of cycles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's BFP? Bonafide pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I actually like that definition a lot!!

    In the TTC IF world (trying to conceive / infertility), BFP stands for "Big Fat Positive" ... I guess b/c for many of us, we see many many many BFNs before the coveted BFP, and after awhile, you get tired of saying the word negative.

    Bonafide pregnancy. I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOOOH. my life is so much clearer! when you first commented on my blog, and you wrote IF, I thought you meant "intended father" and I was so confused. . .I didn't think it prudent to ask, though ;-)

    I'm working on another translation for BFN. . .I'll let you know when I get one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about asking, I know I did a lot when I was first learning this stuff. I know somewhere there is a long list of these abbreviations, I'll try to find it and email you the link. It can be confusing when something can mean to things (as in the case of IF) and you have to look at the context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This link has all of the really common abbreviations:

    http://www.stirrup-queens.com/2006/07/blogging-abbreviations/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you heard of PreSeed? I don't know the mechanics of how you guys are doing this (only just found these blogz), but wondering if that stuff might be beneficial with the cervical mucus etc?

    ReplyDelete